The Princess and the Frog

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » March 3rd, 2009, 7:11 pm

Sorry Once, I mustve been a little carried away. ben, You make a good pont.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 4th, 2009, 5:17 am

Darkblade...I know. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 4th, 2009, 7:26 am

It's okay :D.
No,Ben,I want it to be released in December 25th,not to wait until December 24th and I think that more people will see it in Christmas.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 4th, 2009, 5:08 pm

I'd like it to be opened where the market isn't so crowded. I think one of the reasons why Delgo failed so spectacularly is because it was released in December. I honestly think if that studio had released in in the dead months of January, it could have at least been a 'successful flop' like Happily N'Ever After or even maybe a Hoodwinked 'hit' rather than being written into the record books for all the wrong reasons.

Now I'm not saying that The Princess And The Frog should be released in January. It has several things going for it that will ensure that it at least places in the top 5 no matter when it is released - the main one being it's a Disney film. I just think that Disney needs to choose the best week to maximise it's success. A lot of success these days are based on the opening week. So I understand why Disney is contemplating moving it away from Alvin. I think somewhere between A Christmas Carol and Alvin 2 will help it have a decent opening.

For all we know A Christmas Carol may turn out to dark and creepy to be a family film and therefore parents will be looking for something more bright to send the kids to before Alvin 2 opens. And bingo that could be The Princess And The Frog.

What other family films are opening between Carol and Alvin?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 5th, 2009, 9:33 am

I"m pretty sure that The Princess And The Frog will do much more then Delgo in any release date.
Also they"ll have hugh promotion unlike Enchanted and Bolt and they started with costumes that just got released so I think families and small kids whould rather see that insted of Alvin And The Chipmunks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 5th, 2009, 7:21 pm

I’m really worried about Princess, no matter when it comes out. As said before, it’s an "old" art form, old type of story, old way of doing a film. It's going to take a lot of work to have a film like this do well. As weird as this may sound, the last time a theatrical traditional girl-character film did really well was Pocahontas in 1995. (Well, there was Anastasia in 1997, but then that wasn't Disney and Pocahontas definitely brought in more.) So weird remembering Pocahontas; yes, Disney marketing did great with that (especially with the controversy and all) but back then, all people (and kids) had to hear was "Disney" and "animation", and they'd already be 90% sold. People need to be reminded of how great Princess/Disney/Traditional films really are.

*Plus, by November Up will have already come out (in May, but still) and no doubt done quite well--it looks just as breathtaking as WALL-E. With a film like that making the rounds both critically and commercially, as it no doubt will, a traditional Disney princess film is really going to need that extra push.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 5th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Once Upon A Dream wrote:I"m pretty sure that The Princess And The Frog will do much more then Delgo in any release date.
I think you miss understood me Once with my Delgo comment. I'm 100% sure that Princess And The Frog will easily beat that in it's first week. I was just using Delgo as an example of poor studio decision with release dates. Delgo was never going to be huge but dumping it where they did along with the shocking publicity for it, assisted with the low box office. If they had waited until releasing it in the traditional January dumping zone, it could have at least cracked a million in it's first week I reckon.

So with Delgo in mind, I understand why Disney is thinking about moving The Princess And The Frog away from Alvin. As much as the people here hate the live action Alvin movie, you have to admit that it was a smash hit and considering families flocked to the first one I can't see why they won't flock to the second. The movie is still fresh in youngsters mind and they probably want to see Alvin again. And Disney obviously would like The Princess And The Frog to succeed and don't want to see headlines like 'Alvin beats Disney'

As weird as this may sound, the last time a theatrical traditional girl-character film did really well was Pocahontas in 1995.
Pocahontas also had the honours of being Disney's next film after the colossal Lion King. Pocahontas is kinda like Alvin 2, it rode the coat tail of its predecessor. I'd be interested to see what type of numbers Pocahontas could have pulled if it was released say when Atlantis was. Not saying Pocahontas is bad or anything I just think a lot of the money it made was because it followed Lion King.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 5th, 2009, 11:48 pm

I think it was helped by Lion King but it would still have done decent even if released in '97 or '98, etc... You could also say Beauty rode off Little Mermaid, Aladdin off Beauty, and Lion King over Aladdin; each film was probably helped by the film that came before, but they were all great films in their own right. Lion King was lightening in a bottle; it would be practically impossible to match/top that.

But I do agree that if Pocahontas had come out in 2001, things might have been different. Mostly because by then the Disney name didn't have the luster it once did, even though their films were still good if not the classics they had been. Disney not only didn't support their artists creatively but did not put in the same marketing effort/push they did with past Disney films.

In my opinion these two things are what they need now more than anything. Creative control for the artists and a ton of promotions/tie-ins.
I also believe that they need to take more risks, another aspect of creative control. The "big four" all took plenty of risks, as hard as it is to remember now. Disney can be great if they go back to this philosophy, and believe in their films again.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 6th, 2009, 4:30 am

Wait,which was more succesful-Enchanted,Pocahontas or Mulan? just wanted to know.
And from what I see Enchanted will get a promotion like TinkerBell so I think there will be enough marketing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 6th, 2009, 4:32 am

Not 100%, but I'm pretty sure that out of all those films Pocahontas did the best.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 6th, 2009, 5:41 am

In the US Pocahontas made $141 579 773, Enchanted made $127 706 877 and Mulan made $120 620 254

At the international box office Enchanted made $212 677 264, Pocahontas made $205 520 227 and Mulan made $182 879 746

Overall Pocahontas claims first place with $347 100 000, Enchanted got second with $340 384 141 and Mulan claims third with $$303 500 000

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 6th, 2009, 6:26 am

So Enchanted and Pocahontas made similar amount.
Anyway so Princess films are very sucessful and I think that The Princess And The Frog will make more money.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 6th, 2009, 1:07 pm

Since they went with something safe for their return to hand drawn (not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you), it might be nice if they follow it up by reviving A Few Good Ghosts, which the artists in Florida were working on when the axe fell. Few details were known about it, but from what I read on Jim Hill's site at the time, it sounded interesting. It was set in the south and had something to do with ghosts trying to carry on a family feud. It would have had a couple of notable country singers in the cast (I think Dolly Parton was mentioned). It would be a unique story, if nothing else, something that movies in general are short on these days.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 6th, 2009, 1:55 pm

Ugh:
What do you think makes Tiana different from other Disney princesses?

ANR: Tiana stands out from the others because Tiana is never going to be helpless. She's just a girl who, if the situation turns out to be something that could be helpless, she might have a moment to be sad about it but will figure out how to make it work to her advantage. That's a wonderful thing. I don't think anyone is coming up to folks on white horses anymore. You are either working it out or you are having a problem. She chooses to work it out.
Oh really? ALL the Princesses worked to make it to their happily ever afters,you don't have a point.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 6th, 2009, 8:34 pm

We now have confirmation: there is a trailer for The Princess and the Frog on the Bolt DVD/BD, but it's the old one we've already seen... boo. :(