Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Diamond Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 4th, 2007, 8:28 am

Ahh...

Snow White on Blu-Ray? In 2008?

I think the best we'll get is maybe a Blu-Ray in 2013 for the 75th. While a DVD release will come in 2008 - for sure - I still can't see Disney putting out a big title like that while sales of HD are still fairly low.

But who knows? They may see it as a "golden title" that will encourage those late adopters to finally convert.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Diamond Edition

Post by Once Upon A Dream » September 17th, 2008, 1:14 pm

Disney confirmed that Snow White will get another Plaitnum Edition in October 2009.
So anyone is exited? I"ll definitely buy the DVD,I don't have the 2001 release.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 17th, 2008, 2:38 pm

Blah...

Platinums have been derailed and are now unfortunately the poorest of the Disney editions.

No continuation, no consistency. The switch to two a year was greed motivated, not down to format. Now hi-def has come along they're still putting them out, just as was suspected all along.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Snow White New Platinum Edition Thread

Post by EricJ » September 17th, 2008, 4:20 pm

Actually, the switch to two-a-year was reportedly BECAUSE of hi-def:

Back when all of Hollywood was terrified because they'd read articles that DVD's might become obsolete within our lifetime because of some New Thingy--and what if it started happening in '10, before they'd finished the first one-a-year cycle? :shock: --and Disney wanted to be "tech-ready"...
While most normal people passed off those "Blu disk" articles as more sucker-vaporware...Ho, ho, '01 studios terrified that DVD's will become obsolete in seven years? Yuk, yuk! What maroons! Like that's ever going to happen! It is to laugh! :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 17th, 2008, 5:32 pm

EricJ wrote:Actually, the switch to two-a-year was reportedly BECAUSE of hi-def:
Ben wrote:The switch to two a year was greed motivated, not down to format.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 17th, 2008, 7:33 pm

EricJ wrote:Actually, the switch to two-a-year was reportedly BECAUSE of hi-def:
Ben wrote:Was not!
Was too! :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 18th, 2008, 7:39 am

Yes, my point is that this is what we were <I>told</I>...not the actual, business reasoning behind it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » September 18th, 2008, 1:31 pm

Poorest? why? the Platinum Editions are great.
Well,the isn't a lot of consistent (Sometimes,they add a movie,like they added Sleeping Beauty,Peter Pan (And they added that in March 2007 because for the TinkerBell who was supposed to be released in July 2007 but it will be release next month),Fantasia and maybe Alice In Wonderland but that's not official yet),still,those editions with silly names seems poor (Like those Musical Masterpiece Editions).
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 18th, 2008, 2:33 pm

Ben wrote:Yes, my point is that this is what we were <I>told</I>...not the actual, business reasoning behind it.
No, it's what you WISH was the actual business reasoning behind it, black helicopters and all-- :P

You weren't there, man...I can remember when every studio was believing Blu-ray "It'll change the world because we just announced it" press in the early 00's as gospel every time it was mentioned, as if it'd already become established fact [repeat "Hyuk-hyuk, the very idea!" mode]
We kept trying to shake them by the shoulders and say "It's JUST...a STUPID...WIRED ARTICLE!!!", but nothing seemed to get through to them, and every studio was ready to stake the farm fortunes on it...Except for Universal and Warner, of course, who were ready to stake theirs on the other article they'd read.
And both because of old traumas dating back to DVD catching them by surprise ten years ago, and what-if-it-happened-again-while-our-backs-were-turned?

Which, if you recall, is a major factor of why every stick-in-the-mud tech-phobe was grumbling about a hi-def format war being "Forced upon us", and that "The corporations were waging it".
You do recall those days, don't you? :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 18th, 2008, 8:02 pm

Yes. But then the hi-def war started and blew that all apart! :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 19th, 2008, 1:14 pm

Here's the thing --

If you don't like something, don't buy it!

If it's the third or fourth time on disc and there's nothing new to entice you, skip it!

There are many films I still don't have and as a general it's better to go for the older B & W films than the full-color releases. Full-color releases almost always get a better re-release in the near-future. Unless the B & W film is Casablanca, Frankenstein, or Dracula, there are no guarantees it will EVER get a re-release once the current release goes out-of-print.

The Disney 7-year locked away policy has pretty much been abandoned for home video.

Granted, with as durable as discs are generally speaking (unless you let 3-year-olds play with these things, then you DESERVE to pay for another copy!), it just isn't worth it most of the picking up new copies of movies UNLESS the video is 100% better and new extras have been sprung from the Studio vault.

Here's hoping something good comes from the Blu-Ray releases of Snow White and Pinocchio.

Many, many fans were disappointed by the DVD releases of these films. Pinocchio, in particular, didn't really get a great DVD release considering all the trouble Disney went to with the LD boxset release of Pinocchio.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 19th, 2008, 2:18 pm

Casablanca, Frankenstein and Dracula have all had multiple releases, each one with better extras! ;)

I wouldn't call Pinocchio's original Limited Issue release a proper DVD...it had scant extras on it and was only a way to get a few titles out there. None of the original Limited Issues had extras other than trailers in some cases, so you can't say that one was a definitive release, and there's no way - at that point - that they were going to port over the great LD material...<I>that</I> would have come on the release we were <I>supposed</I> to get a couple of years ago but never came.

BTW, for Snow White, who wants to bet that The Soup Song isn't inserted into the main feature as an optional extra?

Don't think I'm nuts...it <I>was</I> actually debated for the original Platinum set before cost ruled it out. Now...with little archive footage left to entice us (it's all out there on the LD and DVDs) and "<I>only</I>" the movie in hi-def that could be the thing to swing us, I'm betting that reduced software costs and the chance to brag about this "completed sequence" is going to be too much for them to resist.

Although it wouldn't replace the original film, <I>I'd</I> certainly be interested in seeing that done <I>as an option</I>. After all, it came close to happening, and <I>has</I> happened before...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by tyler283455 » September 20th, 2008, 12:19 am

I'm getting a Blu ray soon so I'm starting my platinum edition collection with Sleeping beauty which is the first First Platinum Edition coming to Blu-ray Disc.
Do any of you know how long they sell when they release. it says limited time only, how long is that?
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e314/joris1/ecede288.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 20th, 2008, 10:42 am

Usually by Christmas or the New Year.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by tyler283455 » September 20th, 2008, 11:32 am

That's not too bad, gives me plenty of time.

Also, Ben could you checks your pm's I think I sent you one.