Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Pink Panther (animated)

Post by Ben » November 6th, 2007, 2:03 pm

Hey guys,

Today sees the release of the original TV Pink Panther Christmas specials:
http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Panther-Chri ... 000V3JGJ2/

I'll be picking this up eventually to complete my Pink animated collection.

NOW...

I originally bought the "Classic Pink Panther Cartoon Collection", the big white box set with 5 discs and all the theatrical and television cartoons in it.

Then these discs were introduced individually. As I understand it, the first three volumes put out were the first three discs from the set. Then they out out three more volumes.

Does anyone know if volume 4 is essentially disc 4 of the set? Disc 5 of the set was a few cartoons and special features, so I don't think that would be put out separately.

Volumes 5 and 6 of the separates seem to be "all new" material; 5 is The Ant And The Aardvark cartoons , and 6 are The Inspector shorts.

SO...

As I see it, with the 5-disc box set, the Christmas disc, and vols 5 & 6 of the separates, I should have all the "classic" Depatie-Freleng cartoons without duplicating? Or do I need any other individual volumes?

EDIT: crumbs! Now I can't find Vol 6 (The Inspector) at all! :?: :?: :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 6th, 2007, 4:06 pm

You got it, Ben! Image I too own the "Classic Pink Panther Cartoon Collection" and plan on getting the Christmas special to complete my Pink collection. So no, you won't need anymore individual volumes, sans the ones you mentioned. Yup, Volume 4 is disc 4 on the "CPPCC".

Volume 5 is brand new material on DVD, like you said, so you won't be duplicating shorts and you will need it to finish off the 'classic' Depatie-Freleng cartoons. With Volume 6, its all new too, finding it though is another matter. I'm not 100% sure, but its my understanding that it got pushed back or its not being released at all. Here's its page on Amazon.

Edit: As you see by the comment section, it pretty much answers the question regarding Volume 6. Well, hopefully its released then.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 7th, 2007, 1:23 pm

THANKS DAN!!! :) :)

I'll likely wait until Jan 15 and see if this comes out. If so, I'll grab the Christmas disc and Vols 5 and 6 to get what's out there then.

Sounds like one of two things: either they'll put out two Inspector discs (6 and a potential 7) or the hold up is to add a second disc and put out a two-disc collection, which would be cool).

Thanks for the page, Dan...I couldn't even find <I>that</I>, but I am heartened by the fact that they <I>do</I> actually have a release date put aside - the 15th - which leads me to think that these discs are selling well enough for them to be considering more.

I'm not sure if I would stretch to the Crazy Legs Crane toons they made for TV, but certainly the Inspector cartoons are valid.

Thanks again! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 7th, 2007, 10:20 pm

What can I say, I'm good at searching. ;)

Are there enough Inspector cartoons to actually warrant a second disc, much less another volume? IIRC, they have been selling good. (the Ant one espicially)

Glad I could help, Ben! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 8th, 2007, 3:46 pm

Not surprised the Ant one is doing well - obviously for folks like you and me we're picking up the additional "new" footage ones (as we have the first four in our boxes).

Yep, the Inspector had about 40 toons as opposed to less than 20 for the Ant. So splitting those across two discs or two volumes makes sense.

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 9th, 2007, 2:20 am

Yeah, it does. Time will tell how they end up doing it. I'm predicting two volumes, myself. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 11th, 2007, 2:36 pm

Looks like the Inspector disc is back on schedule! And its not that long of a wait.

Btw, A Pink Christmas is on sale right now over at Amazon for $7.49; that's a 50% savings! If your able to, I would jump on it now instead of waiting 'till March, Ben. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 11th, 2007, 5:31 pm

Hahahahahahahahahahaahaaaa!!

I was just skimming down my wish lists looking for bargains and <I>just</I> put my order in for this! Actually, I came in here to tell <I>you</I> about it!

So, yep, just ordered, though I'll wait for The Inspector shorts to come out before I grab the Volume 5 Aardvark cartoons along with that one. Good to see that's a-coming...yes, looks like Vol 6 will be Inspector 1 leaving room for an Inspector 2 to be Volume 7. They seem to be going chronological as "The Great DeGaulle Stone Operation" was indeed the first spin-off from the Panther toons (coming after the success of A Shot In The Dark, but they couldn't actually call him Clouseau because Peter Sellers and Blake Edwards were involved somehow).

I wonder if they'll keep going and add any more to include Crazy Legs Crane? I'll probably stop at a potential Vol 7, since that would account for all the <I>original</I> DePatie-Freleng era shorts, and the Crazy Legs ones were really not all that crazy.

Thanks, Dan! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 11th, 2007, 8:13 pm

Oooh, how freaky!

Had I not seen the link at TSoD, I wouldn't have even known about the sale. But thanks just the same Ben, placed my order, too. :)

I'll likely pick up Volume 5 etc. later on. There's really no 'rush' to get 'em... plus, I'm hoping they eventually put them out in a box set.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 12th, 2007, 3:22 pm

That would be great, but I doubt it. Anyone who wants these will be picking up the separates and I don't think they're selling that well enough to warrant a double dip.

Also, they might find it hard on where to draw the break line. Do they include Volume 4? Or start at 5? If they did a complete 1-6 (or 7) that would mean we're doubling on the original set again.

The perfect solution is "The Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol 2" with 3 discs featuring the additional character shorts. However I don't think the original set sold that well enough and these separates are doing better.

Nice idea, but I don't think it'll happen. Willing to wait and then collect 5, 6 and if they do a 7 to complete the Inspectors though. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 12th, 2007, 5:31 pm

True, again, I was just hoping. What I had in mind, was what you said, only in a plain box, nothing fancy like Pink got.

I'll just wait till they go on sale, or something. But a box set would rule!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 20th, 2008, 6:04 pm

Here's the press release for the Inspector, which also has the cover art too! Not bad. Y'know, before Boomerang yanked the 'Pink' show off it's schedule, I was amazed at just how much I enjoyed his shorts. Good stuff.

Btw, I watched A Pink Christmas a few weeks back. A true classic, glad it was finally made available. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 20th, 2008, 7:24 pm

A nice surprise with the Pink Christmas disc is that it contains the other two DePatie-Freleng Pink specials made for TV also. That was a great bonus.

Yep, I like the art here, but I don't think Pink was in any of these actual cartoons...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 20th, 2008, 9:44 pm

Are you saying that because he's one the cover? I'm assuming Pink is on there, since the Inspector made his debute (from being theatrical) as part of a segment on The Pink Panther Show.

But you're probably right, I don't remember Pink being in any of the actual toons.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 21st, 2008, 5:59 am

Yeah, I get why he's on the cover, but some folks are going to be disappointed that they're running the Clouseau cartoons on the back of Pink, and showing Pink on the cover isn't being too honest unless they slap a "Pink doesn't actually appear in these cartoons" notice on the back!

;)